Solo & Ensemble Festival
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Monday, April 15, 2019
$20 per SOLO, per event
$40 per ENSEMBLE, regardless of size
North Kingstown HS (directions)
Preregistration is closed. Additional students may be registered on-site at NKHS by a RIMEA member, in the hallway outside the auditorium, the day of the event for a fee of $30 (solos) and $50 (ensembles, regardless of size).
What is Solo & Ensemble?
- Solo & Ensemble is just what it sounds like... an event where students and other musicians get together and perform either in ensembles, or as a soloist, sometimes with a piano accompanist.
- Solo & Ensemble is open to students from elementary through high school.
- This event is, in some ways, similar to an audition, and in some ways is similar to a concert. Participants play in a room in front of a judge, and are given a performance rating - however, unlike All-State, they are not compared to others, but are given a rating based on their individual performance.
- Medals are awarded for rating of "Superior" or "Excellent". Students that are exceptional may be invited to play at the Honors Recital in June... see details below.
- All music performed at the Solo & Ensemble Festival must be listed in one of the sanctioned music lists, listed below. Each piece is graded by the level of difficulty.
- Since pre-registration ends weeks before the festival, if you need to, please make a "best guess" as to the level at which your student(s) will be playing. It is acceptable if an occasional student changes his/her mind after registration and performs at a different level the day of the festival.
- All students participating MUST HAVE A SINGLE ORIGINAL COPY of their piece. Students without an ORIGINAL COPY will not be allowed to perform. If an ORIGINAL COPY is no longer available, or was ordered and did not arrive on time, a letter/receipt from the publisher or music dealer confirming this fact must be attached to the photocopy.
The Day of the Festival:
- View the Solo & Ensemble schedule.
- Download the North Kingstown HS campus map.
- Students should report directly to their scheduled room, 15 minutes before their assigned time (when possible); there is no need to "check in" if they know where they are going.
- All students participating must be on the schedule. The judges will be using their lists to confirm student registration. Any student not on the list must have a registration confirmation in order to participate which can be obtained from hallway outside the auditorium the day of the festival. Students that wish to register on-site must be registered by a RIMEA member, for a fee of $30 (solos) and $50 (ensembles).
- Students must also have the PROPER SOLO & ENSEMBLE ADJUDICATION FORM with them. Be sure the student has the correct form and that all information has been completed correctly. (HINT: if you download the PDF forms (rather than open them in your browser), you can type in them before you print them.) Incorrect or missing information of the adjudication form only delays the performance and causes judges to fall behind on their schedules.
- Sponsors/students are responsible for finding their own accompanist, if accompaniment is desired. RIMEA does maintain a database of accompanists that sponsor can access.
- Any students using a CD/MP3 accompaniment will need to CARRY IN THEIR OWN CD/MP3 PLAYERS/SPEAKERS.
- Percussion room 145 will contain a marimba, xylophone, vibes, bells, chimes, bass drum, snare drum, 4 toms, 4 timpani, drum set, sus cymbal and crash cymbal. Snare drum room 142 will have a snare drum.
- Once finished playing, the adjudicator will hand the student his/her completed adjudication form. If a student receives a rating of "Excellent" or "Superior", he/she should take the form to the hallway outside the auditorium to receive a medal.
- Students are expected to behave properly the entire time they are on the North Kingstown HS campus. Unruly students will not be allowed to perform.
Selection(s) to be performed should conform to these time limitations:
- Levels 1-4 (B and C on Wisconsin, 2 & 3 on Texas) are 6 minute slots
- Levels 5-6 (A on Wisconsin, 1 on Texas) are 8 minute slots
- To be nominated to audition as a soloist for the Honors Recital students must play a Level 6 piece (or WI or TX equivalent) with live or Smart Music accompaniment, receive a score of 33-35, and be deemed "Concert Ready". (This policy does not apply to pieces written as unaccompanied solos.)
- Ensembles must receive a score of 33-35 for a grade 5 or 6 piece (or WI or TX equivalent) and also be deemed "Concert Ready".
- The term "Concert Ready" means the performance, as heard by the adjudicator, would be acceptable as if it were being performed in a live concert recital.
- If a student is deemed "Concert Ready" at Solo & Ensembles, to audition for, and, if selected, to perform in the June Honors Recital, ALL accompaniments must be LIVE. NO RECORDED OR SMART MUSIC ACCOMPANIMENTS are allowed at the follow-up Honors Recital audition or the Honors Recital itself. (This policy does not apply to pieces written as unaccompanied solos.)
- All decisions concerning the Honors Recital will be made by the Honors Recital Chairpersons.
Sanctioned Music Lists: